Working on hood

I FINALLY got around to finishing the hood! It’s one of those unfinished things that has been bugging me for years. I figure with this car show coming up next month I would finish stripping, paint and stencil the underside of the hood. That way I can open the hood for display of the engine compartment.

I cleaned the underside of the hood a couple of years ago with Superclean and noticed that the undercoating was starting to melt away. So that was the first thing I tried today. It started to melt the undercoating, but dried before it finished the job. For some reason, after it dried, the undercoating was more brittle and chipped away easier. So after about an hour of chipping, I sanded it with the DA sander and cleaned it with paint thinner. To my amazement, the PAINT THINNER melted the undercoating instantly! Well that was an hour wasted when all I had to do was wipe it with thinner! It cleaned up pretty good, but still had some gouges from scraping.

20170421_172520

I spray bombed it with Rustoleum primer. I will DA it again in a day or two and spray some color. Then all I have left to do is paint the stencil and find a shovel for display.

20170421_174118

Advertisements

2017 Denton rally

Jordan and I went to the Denton rally Friday morning. The truck did fine pulling it.  We set up and went out to see all of our friends that we haven’t seen since last year. 

We drove around the farm a few times and set out the for sale items. 

Saturday was general admission day for the public and I got to talk to a bunch of people and sell some stuff – not as much as last year,  but enough to offset the cost of coming to the rally. A photographer caught a few pics of the Jeep when I wasn’t paying attention.

Going to pack up and try to get out of here before lunch tomorrow. 

Getting ready for the Denton, NC rally

I ran out of time to get the new Jeep ready to take to the rally. In order to take this one, there were a couple of things that I had to get done. For one, I never finished installing the military fuel pump. The other thing was to adjust the valves since it was pretty noisy (compared to the “new” Jeep) at last year’s rally.

To finish up the fuel pump install, I had to bend and install the 5/16 x 20″ vacuum line and 1/4 x 20″ vacuum line that I bought the last time I was working on it. The 5/16″ line is the “S” shaped line that runs from the back side of the fuel pump, over the top and curves around to the main vacuum line block at the front of the engine. I tried a 12″ line the first time, but needed 14″. They don’t sell a 14″, so the next size is 20″! It was a pain working with all of that extra material, but I got it done.

20170406_120334

The second line was the 1/4″ one that runs from the bottom side to the wiper line tee. 20″ was the perfect size.

20170406_120347

I only adjusted the intake valves because they are easy to get to, made the most noise, and I didn’t have a replacement gasket. They were set at around .018″ which is factory setting – too noisy for me, so I adjusted them to .015″. The other Jeep had them set at .014″. I removed the plugs and used my compression gauge to find TDC, and painted the notch in the pulley so that I could see it easier. I adjusted them in order, then went back and double checked.

20170406_124823

After I put everything back together, I had to go pull the batteries out of the other Jeep. I went ahead and serviced them while they were out. As soon as I fired it up I could tell that it was much quieter! I pulled out of the shop and went for a ride.

I drove around for about 10 minutes and as I was pulling into the driveway, the car behind me blew their horn! I knew this could mean one of two things – either they were saying “wow, cool Jeep!”, or something was wrong. When I pulled up at the shop, I used my trusty old brake pedal holder (a 1x6x24″) to hold the brake pedal down while I checked the brake lights – THAT was the problem! I did a little troubleshooting and finally used my 1″ socket and long extension to remove the switch. I checked it with the continuity tester on the multimeter – it worked intermittently. In order to get this thing finished up, I went ahead and pulled the one off of the other Jeep for the time being. It was a PITA to get off because the rubber boot was larger than the switch body and the socket wouldn’t fit over it. I ended up using some 4″ vise grips to loosen it because that is all that would fit in the space. I checked it with the multimeter before I installed it – PROBLEM SOLVED! I’ll order a new one if I can’t find a good used one at the rally.

I took it for another test drive (after checking it’s function with the brake holder) and put it up until Monday. I’ll give it and the truck a bath then, since that will be my last day off before the rally.

WOW – 55,000 veiws!

That’s AMAZING! I never would’ve thought that my page would ever see this much traffic. This many views makes me think that I might be doing something right. I hope that this blog will continue to be of some help to everyone. Even though I have a new project, THIS Jeep will continue to be a project also and I will update this blog whenever I do something to or with it.

My new blog 1964 USMC M38a1 Rebuild will obviously be updated more often because I am actively working on rebuilding it to “Motor Pool Ready” condition.

Thank you for the support and don’t forget to hit the “Follow” button on the new blog also!

 

New blog for USMC Jeep

OK, so I really couldn’t integrate a bunch of new posts into this old blog on the new page(the only explanation I got , in a nasty tone, was “this is a blog site, not a website”. So I started a new blog titled “1964 USMC M38a1 Rebuild”. You can find this blog by clicking the link at the end of this entry. Don’t forget to click the “Follow” button so that you will get an email when I add new entries to the blog.

1964 USMC M38a1 Rebuild