Small update – nothing major

Nothing much to update on. I haven’t been doing much with the Jeep. I took the doors and side curtains back off for summer and only drove it a couple of times. I have started working on my USMC M38a1 again which led to a little problem on THIS Jeep. I bought the same group (size) 24 batteries that were in the other Jeep when I bought it. When I got home I started to install them – they wouldn’t fit! As it turns out, the battery specs changed and they are about 3/8″ wider than the old batteries (who knows how old they were).

Anyhow, I opened up the battery box on this Jeep to measure the batteries before I went back to Wal-Mart to get different ones (my goal was to get a size in between these and the large ones that didn’t fit – which doesn’t exist!). When I pulled the battery box lid off I was greeted with corrosion on the outboard battery and tray! I removed the battery, flushed it with water and sprayed everything down with a battery acid neutralizer. I repeated until all of the acid was gone. Then I resprayed the battery hold down and tray with rust converter. I need some type of durable coating that I can spray it with. I checked the bateries’ voltage. The inboard battery was strong (with OVER 12v), but the outboard battery was weak (at 10.34v). I put it on the trickle charger overnight. It was showing charged, but when I unhooked it, it slowly fell to around 11v. I put it back on charge for a couple of days and tested again – it only dropped to 11.3v! So I put it back on charge yesterday before we left and will let it charge until we get home on Friday. Hopefully it will come back to full charge this time (because I don’t want to have to buy ANOTHER $115 (after taxes)  battery).

The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is the other Jeep. I was using these batteries to crank it when I was trying to get it running right. I ran the batteries pretty low a couple of times and I forgot to turn the switch off once, which killed them! When I put them back in this Jeep, the regulator must have been overcharging to compensate for the weaker battery which boiled it over. Sometimes I HATE 24v systems!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s