Frame off of the trailer tub

As you recall, my next project was to remove the frame from the M100 tub so that I can replace the tub floor.

2014-09-16 11.11.21

I finally got around to doing that a couple of weeks ago. I used my plasma cutter to quickly cut the remaining spot welds loose. I am glad that I had it, because there were A LOT more welds than I thought! Also, some of the welds that I cut loose with the cutoff tool weren’t completely loose either. I basically just cut, then pried to find the next weld – and so on, and so on until the frame came loose.

2014-11-19 14.21.51

You can see in the picture above that some of the frame rails will have to be replaced because of rust. There is a metal shop a few miles down the road that might be able to make those for me.

2014-11-19 14.25.19

You can see the rust through where the front lip of the frame overlapped the tub. Over the years, water and debris packed in behind this lip and held water, resulting in the holes. There are holes in both front corners where someone drilled 1/2″ holes for drainage and didn’t seal the holes (I guess) – then the rust started and ate metal away from there. The floor on the inside is pitted and the metal is thin with a few pinholes. I am starting to think that repairing these places is the way to go. I have heard that the floor and side edges were rolled together for a water tight seal. Looking at mine, you can tell that they are separate instead of rolled. I thought about trying to find the spot welds and cut them out to remove the floor, but I couldn’t identify them – that might be a problem!

I cleaned the rest of the undercoating from the floor. You can see all of the spots that I had to cut to remove the frame – I think I counted 50 of them! If I repair the floor, I will have to weld up all of those holes in it.


2014-11-19 14.25.00

2014-11-19 14.24.37

2014-11-19 15.16.36

You can see in the last pic that the floor is bent down between the frame cross members – that would be another reason to replace the floor I guess – if I can come up with an easier way to do it. Maybe cut the original floor out and leave a 1/4″ lip around the edge, then cut the new floor lip off so that it will just fit inside the sides of the tub. Then I could use epoxy panel adhesive to bond it to the 1/4″ lip. I will still have to replace the rusted metal on the front panel lip.