I started off this afternoon doing maintenance items. I changed the oil (and have a burn from the J pipe to prove it!) and water (I never put antifreeze in it). That water looked more like light chocolate milk than water, so I poured a couple of gallons of clean water through it to flush as much out as possible.
Then I tried to bleed my brakes – because I got air in the system when I changed my brake light switch. The brakes still worked, but were spongy – and the lights didn’t work because air was in the system. I couldn’t get them bled for some reason, so I am going to have to wait on help.
Next, I added a ground strap from the lower generator mounting bolt to the underside of the motor mount bracket. That’s when I realized that the big motor mount bolt wasn’t even tight! I checked the other one, and it wasn’t tight either! Then I added new grounds from the headlights to some known good ground points. Hopefully that will solve my headlight blowing problem, but I am going to check the voltage at the headlights before I replace them.
I took off my fording valves and replaced them with some 3/8″ rubber hose since they aren’t needed anyway – makes maintenance a little easier. While I was doing that, I pulled the PCV valve bell off the side valve cover and re-sealed it because that is where one of my leaks was coming from. I tightened up the gas lines at the tee under the voltage regulator too – another leak that I had. I hope that one if fixed, because I’m getting tired of getting a strong gas smell when I open up the garage door! I noticed 2 new leaks on the floor while I was under there – one coming from the back of the transfer case output shaft, and one from the front out put shaft. I thought I replaced those seals.
I started working on my new (M151) vacuum wiper motors. The new ones have about a 3/4″ longer shaft than the originals, so I had to cut off about 5/8″ of it (I want the shafts a little longer than the originals). The new wipers also have the hand operating lever mounted on the opposite side, so I will have to mount the motors upside down. I started grinding down the shaft diameter so that I could thread it, then realized I didn’t have a 10-24 die (the only one missing from the set!), so that was the end of the wiper project for today.
Old (left) – New (right):
At this point, I realized that I haven’t even taken the hardware off the old hood. How can I mount my freshly painted hood without hardware? I took the hood hold down brackets, hinges, cutout cover and large footman loop off and cleaned them up along with their hardware and primed them. I guess I’ll paint them in the morning.
When I fired up the engine to move the Jeep over, I heard a deep, low knock! I had plenty of oil pressure, so I left it running and started listening all around the motor. It was coming from the lower par of the engine – passenger side. I put my hand on the block to see if I could feel it – I couldn’t. When I touched the generator I could. Then I realized when I pushed down on the generator, it stopped. Turns out that the generator is vibrating on its mounting bracket. I think shorter belts will raise it enough to get it off of the bracket. Disaster avoided!
Now, first thing to do in the morning is call J.C. Taylor and get then to fax the paperwork for insurance, then I have 2 packages to mail, and then go pick up my hood.